Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Taddert to Ouarzazate

Today was just as tough if not tougher than yesterday. I am hoping the route gets better. Taddart to Quarzazate held it's own with lots and lots of surprises. After a goods night sleep I was ready to take on the day. The road from Taddert is in good condition considering all the trucks and buses that use it every day and as you know during winter the roads are closed due to snow. These towns have snow ploughs! The Atlas mountain is very high and the pass itself goes up to 2800m if not higher in certain places. My goal was to get over tizi N' Tichka (2260m high). The morning started out cool as usual and as the road started to climb out of the hamlet it started getting just a little colder. I new that sooner or later I was going to be pouring sweat as the road snaked ahead with lots of switchbacks. This time of morning there are plenty of trucks and buses making their way up the pass. It becomes a bit hair raising at times with a couple of near misses and lots of swearing. There are patient people who hoot in acknowledgement as they go by . Eventually I get to the top of the pass or what I considered to be the top. Another turn and the road climbs again and again. Suddenly, I'm heading down at one hell of a speed. The weather turns out to be hot but I'm lucky I have head wind which I cope with nicely. It keeps me cool. The turn to Ait ben Haddon appears and an extra 9km to the heritage site and 9km back. The visit was every bit worth it.Back on the main road again and I have 21km to go before Quarzazate appears. I can't wait to get off my seat it is really starting to hurt. It was expected so I should not complain. I am sleeping in the Royal Hotel tonight, nogal.

4 comments:

Sandy Zinn said...

Hi Eugen

I knew that you would simply grit your teeth and get down (or up depending on the state of your bum)to cycling. Tell me, what is this heritage site, Ait ben Haddon, you mention? Would love to have a few more photos of the area if you can get to an Internet cafe.

love and miss you stacks!
Sandy. Phoebe and Mottles send you a purr or two!

Unknown said...

Hi Eugene

You missed the spread of food at Ebrahim's today. We had crayfish, prawns, mussels, tongue, leg of lamb and plenty of cakes and dessert =)

By the way, your friendly neighbour said that you make 'kak' for him as they did not get your table!

Keep on going there! We're definitely waiting for the photos.

Ghazali & Lena

Karin said...

Hi Eugene

I feel for you.It is tough but hang in there. You are an amazing soul. I look forward to reading your post when I get home

Love
Karin

mitch said...

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW,IN ENJOY THE VIEW,LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE PIC'S TAKE CARE
MITCH