Friday, October 17, 2008

Morocco: Agadir - the final frontier

As I enter the outskirts of the City of Agadir I'm not prepared for what I encounter. The country roads have given way to city networks. Road signs indicate where the city centre is and as I work my way along the road the traffic volume has increased with cars, trucks, buses and mopeds zooming by. I'm very uncertain as to where I am and I continue on this road. I'm very aware that this is obviously one of many arterial roads that leads into and past the city. Up ahead I see a fellow cyclist on the road and I speed up so as to get directions from him to the city centre. We exchange greetings as its good to see a fellow cyclist on the road. Mohamed introduces himself in fairly good English and insists he will accompany me into the city. We proceed and during our journey he enquires whether I would accompany him home to have some mint tea. I discover that apart from being an ardent cyclist he also enjoys running, swimming and hiking. I tell him about my journey and he is quite amazed by my achievement.

He extends his hospitality and insists I should take a shower after such a long trip and he would be honoured if I could stay for lunch as his family would be home pretty soon. He is preparing lamb tangine and looks very handy in the kitchen.

I get to meet his entire family as they arrive from school. Malika(mom) Younes, Issam and Nabil. We sit down and all have lunch together. The boys are very curious. After 14h00 the boys leave for the second part of the school day and will only be back home after18h00. Kids have long school hours in Morocco.

After the activity has died down I enquire from Mohamed when would it be convenient for him to show me some direction into the city. He looks at me and says: "Whats your hurry relax you will be staying the night". I'm caught off guard and do not for one minute expect this overwhelming gesture of hospitality. The Kouzkouz family "adopts" me. I now live in the suburb of Salem about 15 to 20 minutes away from the city centre. The most amazing thing about the suburbs in Agadir is that it is self-contained. Its has all the requirements a suburb needs and people very seldom see the need to head off to the city except for work. The University of Agadir is also quite central and has campuses all over the city.

The beaches are beautiful and stretches for as far as the eye can see. It is only touristy in the centre and in the peek of summer when there are regular flight to Agadir from Europe.

5 comments:

Ineke said...

Hi Eugene We are so proud of you. What a wonderful job you've done.
And by the way you've described your journey it all seemed effortless. What an experience!
Hope we get to see your pictures. The ones we've seen thusfar are wonderfull. Have a good rest now.
love René and Ineke and kids

Karin said...

Dear Eugene

What an amazing experience with this Moroccan family.You have met some beautiful people on the way- this is as much a part of your journey as the physical terrain. Eugene , this is an experience that you will always remember and I am so glad that you chose to share it with us in such a creative and interactive way. We look forward to your homecoming and we pray that you will be safe . Please bring some nice recipes home with you!. I can't wait to see all the lovely pics!Liam took his first major tumble off his bicycle while he and Shaun were cycling to Simonstown. He came with cuts and bruises.

Lots of love
Karin Shaun Chad Kyle Danielle and Liam

arlette said...

Hi Eugene

Fantastic way to end off such a wonderful trip. Moroccan hospitality is amazing, and you have encountered it every step of the way. Have a safe trip home.

Love Arlette & Patrick

mitch said...

well i hope to see you soon once you return enjoy and have fun
your friend mitch

Anonymous said...

Eugene,
I am amazed at your accomplishment. Although it was difficult I am sure you viewed it as an opportunity to grow and truly experience the moments. I am so proud of you. Thank you so much for sharing a piece of it with all of us. The pictures are amazing. I truly felt a part of it.

Miss you lots.
Kimberly