Monday, October 13, 2008

Morocco: Aoulouz to Tarodannt

Aoulouz on a Saturday night is a bee hive of activity and all the cafes are packed to capacity with people and family's interacting with each other. I have discovered that Moroccans in general do most of their networking and connecting with each other at night and its such a wonderful experience to see such social activity. Saturday nights, like the one I have experienced, are also about the wonderful game of soccer. One cannot help oneself to be drawn in by this craziness and I hang out like everyone. The cafes make money this way. As long as you buy, you can watch.....

The soccer noise continues through the night and in the distance I can hear the highs and lows of people cheering and disapproving as their local team goes through its paces and a goal is scored... the noise punctures the air as it reverberates.

The following morning I leave my hotel and get sent on my way with the greeting Inshala, God be with you.

The first 10km is rolling hills and the landscape is dotted with Argon trees. You can see some are as old as time gone by. The road flattens and the Argons are pushed to the distant hills and the surrounding area is filled with citrus orchards for as far as the eye can see.

In between the orchards are trees(argons) which have refused to be displaced this continues for the next 40km.

As one approaches the outskirts of Tarodannt one encounters heavy and light industry and the further one progresses, the settlements of houses and schools and government building make their appearance and before long the old ramparts (walls) of the city appear and I enter through one of the entrances, Bab El Kasbah. Orientation done and directions indicated, I find the central square and the Hotel Tarodannt.

Its Sunday so I waste no time. I start to explore the souks and already the deal making starts.

I will spend two days here before I leave for my next destination, Agadir.

1 comment:

arlette said...

Hi Euge

Good to experience the vibe and excitement of life in a different environment.
Sounds like your route is taking you through some beautiful countryside.
I've missed following you but suddenly realise that, we are extremely lucky to have this opportunity to experience your trip as you go along. We forget that there is someone who is extremely busy, sacrificing so much time to keep us up to date..........Thank you Blog Manager