Sunday, October 5, 2008

Erfoud to Alnif

After the hectic day over the Hamada( is a type of desert landscape consisting of largely barren, hard, rocky plateaus, with very little sand) and riding around I find a hotel which was recommended by a person at a previous over priced hotel. Chez Gaby Hotel is located at the intersection left going to the town of Erfoud and left going to Rissani. Abdoul, who runs the establishment, gives me a good price, Berber price as he puts it. He is happy that I am happy. My room comes with air conditioning, something new, and dalmatian bed covers. I simply love it. His hospitality holds no boundaries. I also get to use the Internet at the hotel - most kind of him.

The following morning I rise early as once more I have a long road ahead: 24km to Rissani and another 93km to Alnif. It had rained the night before and the ground is still damp permeating the area with the sweet smell of soil.

I have one pass to cover and now I have the wind and the sun behind. Wonderful, however, it comes with its own set of problems heat and more heat. So the cooling factor is the problem now. I have to take more water on board which means more stops.

Five hours later I arrive in Alnif. There are only two hotels: one for tourist types in the 4x4 entourage and of course the other. To my surprise I meet two other cyclist who are also touring Morocco. They are Swiss and I have a wonderful time chatting to them . We relate stories and events.

1 comment:

arlette said...

Hi Eugene

117km.........ouch!!

Nice to meet up with some fellow minded people, cycling through Morocco. I take it your paths were not taking you in the same direction, them travelling a different route to yours?

Have fun.......we're thinking of you