Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tazzarine to Agdz

Tazzarine is a smallish dusty town siting on the outskirts of the Hamada. It's significance, apart from the N12 running through it, is that it is also the gateway to Zagora which is the other town renowned for it's desert connection.
I leave my hotel a little late slightly peeved because the proprietor has locked up the bikes and I have to look for him. I have a long day ahead of me and want to be on the road. Ahead lies Agdz (pronounced agaa dez). Firstly I have to get to N'kob which is 30km away. The going is a bit slow as the road is in a bad condition and there is a gentle incline to the town of N'kob which sits higher than Tazzarine. Once past the town it is downhill into the valley and the roller coaster ride takes me to the intersection between Zagora to the one side and Quarzazate the other, another 40km away.
There is a huge landscape change from desert to shrubs and grasses. Once back onto the N9 the road snakes along the mountain with the river and the valley below filled with palms. Another 31km to go and the town of Agdz appears. As I work my way up the hill, the roads lead me into the main square, the hub of business.
First port of call, the cafe Sable D'Or and I have something cold to drink, sit back and enjoy the shade, sights and sounds and not forgetting my constant companions, the flies.
It's just after one in the afternoon and everyone is heading to the mosque for afternoon prayers. Shops close and all other businesses. I have to wait before I get to my hotel, the Palmareis. It's situated upstairs and the entrance is on the side of the building in and alleyway just in front of a general dealer store. The rooms are clean, not dusty as most are, and if you want one with a window, it costs a little more.
I spend another night in Agdz so today is my second and tomorrow I head for Tazenakht.

5 comments:

arlette said...

Hi Desert man (as per Aos)

I'm trying to make out what the photo is...........a caterpillar? Very interesting.
By the way, Bruce is doing the double century this year which is being held in Montagu. Their practice runs have been long hard rides which brings back lots of memories of the rides to Philadelphia.
It's great to be able to follow your route and be able to "see" the change in the vista as you go along

Eugene Brookes said...

Hi Arlette
Thanks for your comments and your wonderful support. like you i also access my blog and always go to the bottom to read the comments.
I will spare a thought for Bruce when he does his first double. all he has to do is enjoy the race and enjoy the the montague views

Eugene Brookes said...

Hi Davids Family
Thanks to all of you for the cell call. It's always great to hear your voices. It means a lot to me. keep following my blog

Unknown said...

Gino

Glad to see that you are enjoying your journey. Heat and distances involved seem hectic!

From your accounts the people seem friendly and accommodating and you have had some interesting experiences. great...

Head scarf suits you .

Yashke took one look and said: "Uncle Eugene is famous daddy ... " - out of the mouths of babes!

keep going...

brent

Unknown said...

Hi Eugene

It's almost a year later but I made it to see your stunning photos. Thanks for sharing ...
Fairuz