Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ouarzazate to Skoura



My day started well. Can you believe it rained really hard! The next morning by the time I left there was no sign of any rain in sight. From El Kelaan gmone to Boumaine Dades its 24km before the road forks right going to Dades Gorges 27km and right to Tineghir 50km away. The palm valley between El Kelaa and Boumaine is extremely fertile and lots of olives grow in this area. There are also mint, dates, wheat, cashews and roses. Vegetables are grown too but on a smaller scale. The towns along the first 24km of my route are quite compact and squeezed in between the river flood plain(dry) and the mountain. Boumaine, situated right at the fork, is perched just above the valley. This town is very laid back and is the gateway to the Dades Gorges. Lots of tourist and guides (Berbers) who lead people on excursion and walks.

My route further takes me on a flat plain and the lunar landscapes. It's still hot as hell but fairly cool during early morning. The landscape becomes one big blur as I push myself over the plain. In the distance with 6km to go, the town appears like a mirage and before long I stop at the first available cafe that is open and I have a coke and coffee. After doing some enquiries of where to stay, I'm no more the wiser when I leave because my French is not good. Not to worry, I'll find some thing soon and I do. No, not another Hotel Du Atlas but a Timbuktu. My choices are just so Ama_zing.

2 comments:

faridvi said...

hello Eugene,
it is me farid ,the guide you met in the restaurant in kalaa megouna, really you are nice person iam happy to know you. i visited your website ,it is really wonderful .i hope to meet you again when you are back to marrakech.
best regards

arlette said...

Hi Eugene

Making an impact on the locals as you go along I see.........Faridvi was most impressed with you (I'm not surprised of course) I think you have a huge impact on most people as you go along on your trips.....and through life.

Sounds like you are having a fantastic experience, and as always, I wish I had the drive and adventurous spirit which you have. You taking advantage of the excursions? Or is that a stupid question? I know...........you are probably too bushed or too pushed to have the luxury of the time you would need to do that.

hey Blog Manager....what a magic way to keep in touch.