Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cycling, hiking and photography

I am an avid cyclist, hiker and photographer. For longer than I can remember I have commuted to work by bicycle because it’s a wonderful form of exercise and because I am passionate about this sport. When I am not cycling I enjoy mountain hiking. I have hiked extensively in some of the most beautiful parts of South Africa, my favourites being the Otter trail, Whale trail, Tsitsikama trail and Blyde River Canyon.


A few years ago I had the pleasure of travelling to Tanzania and climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. In 2004/5 I backpacked through Peru and hiked the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. This was not only a wonderful experience but also a great personal achievement for me. I took some very special photographs of my experiences. See the adjacent slide show of Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador.

I have completed fourteen Cape Argus Cycle Tours as a Category C entrant, and eight Double Century Cycle Tours. The latter is a 206km long race cycled in teams of 8-12 riders, with the aid of support vehicles.

In March - April 2003, I completed a solo cycle tour across the length and breadth of Cuba. It was a fascinating experience and gave me many wonderful photographic opportunities. The trip was truly inspirational. Upon my return to Cape Town I gave a number of slide shows to share my experiences with fellow South Africans. My cycle through Cuba afforded me an intimate view of the people and the landscape. See adjacent slide
show of Cuba.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Eugene

You have always followed your dreams - inspirational ! We will be following your progress closely.
Look after yourself.

brent, cheryl, zeph, yashke

Karin said...

Hi Eugene

Another journey begins, another dream before you. We will share and celebrate this experience with you, every step of the way.
Lots of love and hugs
Karin, Shaun, Chad, Kyle , Danielle and Liam

mitch said...

great stuff enjoy the view and let me see the prints
your friendly printer MITCH
take care
talk soon

Unknown said...

Hello,
You can find a set of driving a man to take the companies are willing to line up in an instant.
lemosho route