Sunday, September 28, 2008

Arrival in Marrakech

A teaspoon of a hiccup: my bicycle arrived in Casablanca but not my panniers! Have to spend an extra day in Marrakech now. Bought a sim card for my cellphone. Apparently it's a lot cheaper to phone from Morocco to South Africa. Morocco is 2 hours behind S.A.
Had some decent food today. A proper chicken sandwich and freshly squeezed orange juice to die for!. The juice is only 3dh. That's about R3.00. Marrakech is a bustling city, a thoroughfare for traffic heading south over the Atlas mountains. It's bloody hot during the day! Lots to see and smell. The mint urine smell is very popular.
Loads of English and French tourists on organised tours. The lingua franca is both French and Arabic. Computer keyboards take getting used to.

I like the fact that I blend in with my dark skin and don't get hassled by touts even when I take out my camera. Of course the locals are curious and try to chat in Arabic to me. They are visibly surprised when they find out that I am a foreigner.

Well, have to fix up my bike now for the start of my first cycle day tomorrow. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Ineke said...

Hi Eugene
Have a good trip and watch out for snappy dogs!
gr Ineke

shirley said...

Hi Eugene
Well done on your adventure thusfar!! Hope the Atlas Mountains were not too stressful and that you have been able to rest. Enjoy the local food and take the recipes down for us!! Take care...we are proud of you. Pictures look great too. Shirley and Kevin

Unknown said...

Hi
Excellent post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the awesome work!
lemosho route